Friday 26 March 2010

Moridira Hurricane EXB-01 Bass

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Tyler Beard has been in touch again:
Well, after my Futura, I realized I had something else you might like! I have included decent pics this time!

Anyhow, got this for $90 at a local Pawn Shop. I have searched, and have found little reliable info: Produced in the 80s, predecessor to Morris Guitars, made in Japan and/or Korea, and 80s speed metal band Cacophony (featuring Marty Friedman) used Hurricane guitars for a bit.

What I can tell you, is that this is a really good and solid bass. The tuners are Gotohs, and stock as far as I can find out. They definitely don't let you down, holds tune very well. And trust me when I say that, I play with an aggressive fingerstyle just short of tearing the bass apart, haha.

The neck has a Jazz Bass feel, with a good taper and it's pretty thin. The neck is maple, so far as I know, and finished to match the body, as you can see. The fretboard is rosewood with small dot inlays. The body, though, is plywood. Luckily, plywood is not synonymous with junk. Pretty thick finish on it, to hide the plywood, I suppose. But the body material is easily made up for. The pickup, although with low output (although it seems like it's just my amp for some reason), has a very nice sound, and is pretty versatile for a P-style. The pots are full size, which surprised me. I need to clean them, as they are pretty dirty and have a tendency to cut out (volume). Pretty high pickguard, weird shape too, like someone did a good freehand. Same with body. Like a warped P-bass. The bridge is just the factory one, nothing bad but nothing special. For $90, I can't complain, not bad. Has that 80s look and it starts a conversation, as no one seems to recognize it. Any readers who have info can contact me.

Thanks again, hope you like!
~Tyler
(Apologies for the weird "cut & paste" Photoshop effort above - I was trying to fit as much into one image as possible.)

Looking at the body shape, I am reminded of the Fender Mustang, but the pickup and pickguard are more Precision-like and the narrow neck is more Jazz Bass-like. Looks like it is long-scale, and not short-scale like the Mustang. The logo on the Aria-like headstock is very oddly positioned with a string retainer right in the middle of it. I wonder if that was added later?

It's an interesting bass - thanks for sharing it with us.

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis